Ministers and saints alike should carefully scrutinize their lives and keep the proper attitude toward money and possessions.
- Riches – Solomon likened riches to a strange bird. It is without feathers and wings, yet suddenly it can fly away (Proverbs 23:5). Have you ever witnessed this truth in another’s life? Are you and I exempt from the same?
- Covetousness – is a serious sin of the spirit, mind, and disposition, with grievous consequences if we allow it to control us.
- Take heed and beware of covetousness (Luke 12:15).
- Covetousness is idolatry (Colossians 3:5).
- One of the Ten Commandments warns us against covetousness (Exodus 20:17).
- Things highly esteemed of people are an abomination to God (Luke 16:15).
- Thorns – Jesus enumerated four kinds of thorns that can grow up in our lives and choke the spiritual life from us (Mark 4:19; Luke 8:14).
- Deceitfulness of riches.
- Cares of this world.
- Lusts of other things.
- Pleasures of this life.
Clearly, we need to seek a balanced life regarding possessions, ever being cognizant that if we gain the world and lose our soul we are all the poorer (Proverbs 30:3-9; Matthew 16:26). This truth is evident in the accounts of the following people:
- Achan – (Joshua 7:21).
- Rich Young Ruler – (Matthew 19:16-26).
- Gehazi – (2 Kings 5:20-27).
- Two Rich Men – (Luke 12:13-21; 16:13-31).